Arbi Masala Recipe
Arbi ,also called Kachaaloo, is a sure fire favorite of kids. Though it is made in a variety of ways, the following recipe is one of the most traditional and famous from the Sindhi cuisine.
Author: Anju Bhagnari
Serves: 4 servings
- Arbi, 250 gm
- Water as needed
- Salt to taste
- Oil for deep frying
- Red chilli powder, 1 teaspoon
- Dhaniya powder, 2 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder,½ teaspoon
- Amchoor powder, ¼ teaspoon
- Mix all the seasonings like red chilli powder, turmeric powder, amchoor, dhaniya powder in a bowl and keep aside.
- Wash the Arbi very well under running water.
- In a pressure cooker add in 3 glasses of water and put in the Arbi.
- Keep the flame high and close the pressure cooker lid. Let it cook till 2 whistles.
- Open the cooker lid after the pressure releases on its own and drain in a colander.
- After the Arbi cools down, remove the skin.
- If Arbi pieces are big, cut them horizontally in two. Smaller ones are not to be halved.
- Sprinkle salt on them and let stand for about 10 minutes.
- In a thick bottom pan heat up oil for deep frying. Lower the flame and add in a few Arbi pieces in one go. Fry only till slight change. Similarly, fry all the pieces.
- Let them cool down a bit. Slightly press each piece to flatten them all.
- Again fry all the Arbi pieces till crisp and crunchy.
- Take all the fried Arbi pieces in a pan. Sprinkle the prepared masalas all over. Mix well so as masala gets coated evenly on them.
- Serve hot with roti or as a side dish with rice and any dal