Dahi Wadas are a classic. Be it kitty parties, family functions, get-togethers... These are always loved by all. Easy too on the hostess, as she can prepare and chill them till serving time. Very fluid as for the flavors, they can be easily changed and adapted to personal preference.
Author: Anju Bhagnari
Recipe type: Snacks
Serves: 10 medium wadas
- Urad Dal, 1 cup
- Curd, 2 cups
- Black Salt, a pinch
- Salt, to taste
- Red chilli powder, ¼ teaspoon
- Freshly ground roasted jeera powder, ¼ teaspoon
- Green coriander leaves, to garnish
- Black pepper powder, ¼ teaspoon
- Cumin seeds, ½ teaspoon
- Sugar, 1 teaspoon
- Water, as needed
- Wash and soak the dal overnight or at least for 6 hours.
- Drain off the water and grind in a mixer to a coarse consistency.
- Avoid adding any water, If need be, add as little water as possible.
- Add in salt, black pepper powder and cumin seeds to the batter.
- Heat oil in a thick bottom pan for deep frying the vada. Keep the flame low.
- Add 1 teaspoon of batter in each go to the hot oil.
- Add 3 to 4 wadas at a time.
- Gently flip them so that both the sides are cooked well.
- Let the colour change to light golden brown.
- The low flame ensures that the wadas are cooked right to the center.
- Fry all the wadas like this.
- Keep in sieve to drain off the dripping oil.
- Take 2 glasses water in a deep bowl.
- Add in the fried vada and let them soak for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Drain them and gently squeeze out the water.
- Don't let them break.
- Now whisk the curd with a hand blender.
- Add in seasonings like black salt, jeera powder, red chilli powder, sugar.
- Mix well with a spoon.
- Arrange the Vadas in a serving bowl.
- Pour the beaten curd over them
- Let them stand for about 30 minutes before serving.
- Garnish with green coriander leaves.
- Serve chilled.