CHOOSE! Surgery or a healthy food trip? Botox or tasty snacks? We can’t stop time, nobody can.
You have two choices to stop the ageing process. Some people would choose the easy and painful way – through Botox, face-lift or face surgery. While others could eat and eat some more but still look great. The secret? Eating only healthy food! Let’s learn about these anti aging foods so we could start eating as well!
What to eat!
- Dark Chocolate: Let’s start with the best first! Great news for chocolate lovers! Dark chocolates have anti-oxidants and flavonoids to help prevent or lessen wrinkles. They also have some aphrodisiac ingredient that can reduce stress.
- Ginger: This herb is also used for Ayurvedic medicine. Ginger has phytonutrients called gingerols that helps the digestive and cardiovascular systems. Specifically it can: help in bowel movements; prevent the hardening of arteries; stop bad cholesterol; remove toxins or viruses; and renew cells. Ginger is used frequently in Indian cuisines.
- Turmeric: A close relative of ginger, turmeric also has great health benefits. It is an important ingredient in curry. The most important ingredient in turmeric is curcumin. This nutrient can fight cancer. Turmeric also has potassium and vitamin B6 which is also good for the skin and can prevent heart disease. Indians are very familiar with turmeric because of their various curry cuisines.
- Garlic: The food you love to hate. Garlic may have that lasting stink, but it also has lasting benefits. Garlic has anti-oxidants that can slow down cell aging giving your skin that ‘wow’ glow you always wanted. If you don’t want puffy eyes then eat garlic. Garlic has an anti-inflammatory benefit to prevent eye puffiness. Aside from the anti-ageing benefits, garlic stops heart diseases and prevents flu.
- Avocados: Master moisturizer is a simple description for this wonderful fruit. It is loaded with Vitamins E, C and Omega 3 fatty acids. These nutrients will not just make your skin look radiant and youthful looking, but it will also give you shining hair. Another important nutrient you can get from avocado is potassium. Potassium is good for your heart and it also lowers cholesterol.
- Yogurt: This multivitamin healthy food can give your skin regimen a big plus. Yogurt has lactic acid that will also give you healthy skin and great looking hair. In ancient India, this healthy item was also used to get rid of pimples and acne. Yogurt also has calcium, protein, Vitamin B and potassium. These minerals are not just good for your skin, but also for your immune system. Some people either eat the yogurt or make a yogurt skin mask for faster effect.
- Vegetables: You will never go wrong with vegetable overload. Feast on spinach, lettuce, broccoli, brussel sprouts or any salad leaves. You may even add some cabbage, radish, turnip and cauliflower. These great vegetables have antioxidants and Vitamin C which of course is good for your body. These vegetables also have beta-carotene and lycopene that hinders ageing by blocking unhealthy UV rays. They can also fight toxins and boost your immune system. Some vegetables mentioned like radish and turnip is best eaten raw so that their enzymes can easily destroy toxins and even cancer.
- Fish: Another great source of Omega 3 fatty acids, fish can also give you that healthy skin. Fish is also packed with protein that helps maintain body weight. Meanwhile, the Riboflavin present can lessen body fat. You can choose from salmon, cod, sardines or mackerel for your Omega 3 fatty acids, protein and riboflavin requirement. Aside from great skin, fish also prevents cancer and stroke. Having a Fish diet at least three times a week will give you astounding results.
- Nuts: Go nuts with Almonds, walnuts, Brazil nuts and cashew nuts. Nuts are energy boosters. They are also packed with Vitamin E that is great for nails, hair and skin. Vitamin E also protects cells from ultra violet rays, pollution and peroxides. Have a handful of nuts each day for great skin and added energy. Nuts can also reduce cholesterol level and cleanse the digestive system. Warning: Because of its high fat content, you should eat Brazil nuts in moderation.
- Berries: Making berries part of your daily diet is a ‘berry’ good idea. You can choose from – strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, cranberries and Indian gooseberries. All these berries have powerful antioxidants called flavonoids. They are also rich with fibers and Vitamin C. Fibers can help cleanse your stomach, while Vitamin C can help produce collagen, a necessary ingredient for skin elasticity. Aside from healthy skin, berries, particularly cranberries, can prevent urinary tract infection as well as cancer. Indian gooseberries or Amla can also detoxify the liver; cleanse the immune system aside from giving you that glowing clean skin.
- Sunflower seeds: Sunflower seeds contain vitamin E, copper and selenium, all anti-ageing miracles. It also has Vitamin C that can stop cardiovascular problems. Moreover, sunflowers seeds also have magnesium and tryptophan than can help with mental health.
- Tomatoes: Because it has lycopene, tomatoes can protect your skin from sun damage. It is an effective yet cheap protector from ultraviolet rays. Tomatoes are available almost everywhere in India. Raw or cooked, tomatoes are always a good choice. Perfect addition for any leafy salad, just add some salt, olive oil, pepper as salad dressing.
What to Drink!
- Red Wine: This drink is not just loved by the Italians or French people; Indians also love to drink red wine. A good red wine has resveratrol and antioxidant ingredients. Both ingredients are good to stop the ageing process. Drinking one glass of red wine a day will give great results.
- Green tea: This drink is far better and healthier than caffeine drinks. It contains anti-oxidants for healthy skin. Drinking green tea can lower cholesterol, help reduce weight, boost your energy and can control sugar levels. Best of all, green tea drink has a lot of flavors to choose from.
- Aloe Vera Juice: Drinking this wonderful juice can repair damaged skin. It can produce nutrients to help repair collagen and elastin damage. Aloe Vera juice is also good for digestion, detoxification and some mouth or gum problems. Drink this juice together with some water the moment you wake up in the morning.
- Water: The best liquid ever! Water can cleanse our body from toxins. It gives the much-needed hydration and best of all it slows down the wrinkling process. All you have to do is to drink 2-3 liters of water in a day. Best if you can start the moment you wake up. Drinking a tall glass of water before breakfast will purify all your internal organs. Moreover, drinking water first thing in the morning will make your skin youthful looking; clean the colon; help you lose weight; and regenerate cells. So start drinking and start glowing!
There are tons of other food items that you can eat or drink that can slow down the ageing process. Aside from the list above, you can add – Bell peppers, orange vegetables, cucumber, papaya, sweet potatoes, Goji juice, Bee pollen, watermelons, Orange, lemon, mango , banana , and wheatgrass juice just to name a few.
Surgery, Botox and face lifting are NOT the answers to ageing! The most effective way is to have a healthy eating habit. Take time to look for the best and healthiest option. Don’t smoke, drink in moderation and make sure you try to ‘mix and match’ the food items given. You only have one life to live, live it well and in a healthy way.
Finally, let’s just face it head on! Everybody will grow old, if they are lucky! Rejoice to that simple idea alone. Wrinkles, laugh lines and what not should be taken with a grain of salt. A happy attitude is the right attitude!