Chia seeds have several uses. You can either use them for feeding your stomach or you can extract chia seed oil and apply some of those on your skin and hair as well. Chia oil is very beneficial for your skin as it can keep your skin moisturized.
Another thing you can prepare apart from oil by chia seeds is chia gel. In this article, we will talk about things related to making chia gel and its uses. The key thing here to note is that chia seeds can absorb a lot of water. Talking in terms of approximation, it can swell up to ten times of its original volume.
How to make chia gel?
As we have mentioned in the above that chia seeds increase in volume when dipped in a liquid like water and fruit juices, so, in order to prepare chia gel you will have to add some water to your chia seeds.
- For making chia gel, get yourself ready with water, chia seeds, a bowl and a shaker.
- Add three tablespoons of chia seeds with two and a half cup of water in a bowl.
Now paddle up the mixture then let it settle for few minutes and then again continue the same task. Keep doing this until the mixture starts to thicken up. You can also add water and the seeds to a shaker and shake vigorously until you get the same result i.e. thickened product. Shake it two three times in regular breaks.
After doing all these, you can place your thickened product, which is, in fact, the gel you want, into the refrigerator overnight. This will allow the chia seeds to settle and absorb the full amount of water. Before using the gel, give it a good shake.
If you want to prepare your gel a bit faster than the usual procedure then try adding slightly warm water to the seeds as warm water forms gel faster. And follow the same simple steps mentioned in the previous paragraph.
What about the thickness?
The amount of thickness you want in your gel is a matter of personal choice. However, if you want a thinner gel, add some more water to it and follow the same shaking procedure. If you want a more thick gel then add some more chia seeds to your solution. You would probably want a moderate amount of thickness in your gel, therefore do some calculations beforehand and then only add the basics to your solution.
Is water the only solvent used for making chia gel?
Of course not! You can use other solvents in the liquid form too to prepare chia gel. With water, you can make the basic gel. For preparing a flavored gel just use some other liquid instead of water. For instance, you can use coconut water or vegetable or fruit juice. All these depends on your choice whether you prefer apple, mango, pomegranate or grape. The procedure for preparing flavored chia gel is the same as that of making basics chia gel with water.
Some important benefits of chia gel
- Chia gel is a good replacement for fats in baked foods. As chia is hydrophilic in nature, it displaces fats without altering the taste of the food you use it with.
- Chia gel is also considered good for diabetic patients as it helps in blood sugar stabilization. It also helps in better digestion of the food you consume.
- You can store your chia gel for weeks in your refrigerator; the consumption rate depends on the amount of gel you prepare. Chia gel will always be readily available for you to add it to your meal and it’s a very easy way to add the features of chia seeds in your diet in a more creative way.
- If you eat chia seeds and then drink water immediately after that then possibilities are there that you might have some problems in your stomach as you know that chia seeds have powerful water absorbing capacity. Chia gel, on the other hand, is simply a readily soaked chia that would go easy on your stomach and probably not cause any problem.
- Chia gel too contains all the other nutrients found in chia seeds. Chia gel’s water content is high in comparison to the chia seeds. You will definitely get the benefits of omega3 fatty acids if you want to have chia gel instead of seeds.
Is readymade Chia gel available?
Yes, you can buy chia gel easily in the market. Some of the good products available on amazon are presented below:
How to use chia gel?
- You can mix chia gel into your smoothies to thicken them more and add some beneficial nutrients into them.
- You can add some chia gel into your hot oatmeals along with fruit toppings and some solid chia seeds.
- Yogurt can be a good solvent for chia gel for enhancing the nutritional values. If you like you can add some fruits in it and treat it as a morning meal.
- If you want to thicken up your gravy then you can add some chia gel in it. Half a cup would do the job for you.
- You can use chia gel for dressing your salad instead of using oil.
- If you love ice-cream then you can add some flavored gel onto your ice-cream.
Chia gel is very simple to prepare and it provides a lot of health benefits as chia seeds do. They are also very easy to add in your daily meals. If you like you can eat chia gel directly.
There are several ways you can use chia gel and doing some research with your foods on your own is not a bad idea. Just for a change in taste, you can add some sugar in your chia gel and have some of it.
Chia gel contains essential fats, good carbs, soluble fiber, vitamins and many other vital nutrients that our body requires.
You can think of chia gel as another version of chia seeds. It’s just water and chia seeds mixed together to form a solution which we call gel in this case.
Chia gel also boosts up our energy. In theory chia gel can also help with dehydration as you know that chia seeds are hydrophilic and they absorb a lot of water. But this is not the case with chia gel as it has already consumed water and grown to its full volume.
So, hurry up and try some chia gel for yourself, it’s very simple to prepare and use!
Pin this image to your board