Mushroom Pepper Fry
Mushroom pepper fry is a very hot and spicy recipe that is often served as a party appetizer, snack or even as a side dish in the main meal. It uses all the three chillies, green, red and black and hence is understandably hot in taste. Of course, the seasonings can be adjusted as per taste preference.
- 300 grams Mushrooms (washed and sliced)
- 1 large Green Bell Pepper (sliced thinly)
- 1 medium-sized Onion (sliced thinly)
- 1 teaspoon Black Pepper Powder (freshly roasted and ground)
- 1 teaspoon Ginger-Garlic Paste
- 1 Green Chilli (slit lengthwise)
- 8 Curry Leaves
- 1 teaspoon Fennel Seeds (crushed coarsely)
- 1 teaspoon Coriander Seeds Powder
- ½ teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Garam Masala Powder
- 1 Whole Red Chilli
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons Oil
Heat the oil in a thick bottom pan on low flame.
Add fennel seeds, curry leaves, whole red chilli and ginger-garlic paste.
Let them cook for a minute.
Add sliced onion and green chilli.
Saute over the high flame for few minutes.
Add mushrooms and cover it with a lid.
As they get cooked, mushrooms will leave a lot of water.
Cook till the water evaporates.
At this point, add sliced bell pepper.
Cook for few more minutes only as the bell pepper has to remain partially cooked to retain the crunchy bite.
Season with salt, black pepper powder, red chilli powder, garam masala powder and coriander seeds powder.
Serve hot as a starter, side dish or even with rotis
The black pepper has to be dry roasted and freshly ground for optimum taste.