Yoga has been accepted worldwide due to its benefits to physical health and mental well-being. In the past decade, yoga has become quite popular among overweight and weight watchers community. The reason being that yoga has shown amazing results in reducing weight, apart from enhancing the quality of life of the yoga follower.
According to a recent report by the NCCIH, around 80% of people, who practice Yoga, have reduced their stress levels. Around 90% of Americans use yoga for wellness, whereas 15% use it to treat a health condition. They are motivated to exercise regularly and 4 out of 10 want to eat healthy food. Another article in the Daily Mail UK, a research found that overweight people, who did at least one session of yoga per week lost around 5lb over 10 years. It stated that Ashtanga Asana burnt about 300 calories in half an hour, which is more than tennis or swimming.
Here are some asanas that work wonders for losing the extra flab on your body.
- Naukasana/Boat Pose: Lie on the ground and lift both your upper body and legs to form a V-shape. Hold in position for 10 seconds, gradually increase the count. This creates pressure on the stomach muscles.
- Veerabhadrasana/Warrior Pose: In standing position, stretch one leg back and bend the other 90 degrees from the knee. Stretch your hands together, upwards. Repeat with the other leg. This puts pressure on the abdomen and thighs.
- Ardha Chandraasana/Half-Moon Pose: Stand straight and stretch arms upwards. Keeping legs together, bend the torso to one side and then the other. You can also use one arm to touch the ground on one side and lift one leg.
- Purvottanasana/Upward Plank: Sit on the ground with legs stretched. Put hands behind the hips, pointing the legs. Lift your body from the tailbone and pull the head backwards.
- Paschimottanasana/Seated Forward Bend: Sit straight with legs stretched in the front. Then, bend the upper body and touch the tip of the toes and hold in position.
- Setu Bandhasana/Bridge Pose: In lying position, stretch your legs and bend at the knees and lift the lower part of the body. Try to hold the position with the support of your hands. This works on pelvic and abdomen muscles.
- Vrksasana/Willow Pose: This helps to lose weight along the sides of the abdomen. Stand straight with arms stretched over your head. Lift one leg and rest on the thigh of the other. Hold position and repeat on the other side.
- Utkatasana/Chair Pose: This is one of the easiest posture to tone things and buttocks. Stand straight with arms stretched over your head. Then, bend at the knees and keep your thighs parallel to the floor. Hold this position for a minute and repeat as many times.
- Bhujangasana/Cobra Pose: In lying position in upside down position, gradually lift the upper body and hold with the support of the arms. Hold as long as you can. This is effective for toning stomach muscles. Keep your legs on the ground.
- Dhanurasana/Bow Pose: This is a variation of the Cobra pose. In the same posture, lift your legs and hold with your hands. Now, try to lift both the upper and lower. This puts pressure on all the muscles.
Yoga works on your whole body, including the mind and the spirit. Happy Yoga to you!